Swiss chard is a nutrient dense green leafy vegetable. I have been enjoying Swiss chard in my smoothies and salads. Not only does it add color, but it is packed with nutritional value, which includes the following:
- Important for bone health and to help prevent breakage, fractures, and osteoporosis.
- Contains a compound called syringic acid which has been shown to help regulate blood sugar levels in the body making it a great food for those who have diabetes or blood sugar issues.
- Beneficial for anemia, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease, constipation, and breast, prostate, ovarian, bone, liver, stomach, pancreatic, and colon cancers.
- Has powerful anti-inflammatory properties making it an ideal food for those who suffer with autoimmune disorders such as cardiomyopathy, fibromyalgia, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis, lyme disease, and type 2 diabetes.
- Contains a large number of phytonutrient antioxidants such as betalains which have been shown to help protect the body from chronic illnesses such as heart disease, multiple sclerosis, and COPD.
Thanks to Anthony William from Medical Medium for the great article on Swiss chard.